Frequently Asked Questions

What is a FAN id?

A Football Association Number (FAN) id is a unique identification that all players, coaches, officials and volunteers are given when registering with The FA. You will need a FAN to book any FA courses or to register as a club volunteer of player.

You can register for your FAN id at Once you have your FAN you can manage your FA profile on The FA’s Whole Game website.

Why do your voulnteers have to have a criminal records check?

As part of the safeguarding children strategy, The FA requires those working in eligible roles with children and young people to pass a criminal records check (CRC). Eligibility is governed by legislation and government guidance.

In brief this means, anyone aged 16 years or over who undertakes any unsupervised roles with children and young people under the age of 18. These activities include managing, training, coaching and supervising as well as giving advice or guidance on well-being, caring for children or driving a vehicle solely for children on behalf of a club or organisation.

In youth football all coaches and managers must hold a current, FA accepted check. This is part of the affiliation criteria for youth football and forms part of our annual health check and is a pre-requisite of The FA Charter Standard marque that we proudly hold.

What is the Leighton Town Youth Affiliation Number?

Leighton Town Youth’s Bedfordshire FA affiliation number for the 2019-2020 season is V-BED1904.

I need to sign a new player. What do I need to do?

If you are signing a new player you need to do the following:

  • Ask your player’s parents/guardians to complete a membership form.
  • Ask the Club Secretary how much the membership fee is that needs to be collected.
  • Collect and deliver to the Club Treasurer the membership fee.

Read more about Signing A New Player

How do I apply for a Criminal Records Check?

You are required to have a valid CRC when coaching players under the age of 18 years old. A CRC is valid for 3 years and must be renewed before it expires for you to continue coaching.

You will need to apply online and have your proof of identity and address verified by the Club Welfare Officer. You will need to pay a fee when applying. This will be refunded by the club.

Read more about applying for your CRC.